Opus Affair recently held their first sushi TAG dinner, with a menu from Chef Seizi Imura from Cafe Sushi and music curated by Ryan Connelly, of Hallelujah The Hills. TAG dinners are inspired by the Japanese poetic form renga, where poets collaboratively compose alternating three-line and two-line stanzas. Instead of poetry, TAG is a dialogue between music and food. A musician comes up with a playlist inspired by the previous event's menu, and that playlist then serves as the inspiration for the chef to create a new menu, resulting in a string of interconnected events.
The TAG chain: TJ Connelly → Jonathan Fenelon → Randy Wong → Chris Cordeiro → Brother Cleve → Josh Lewin → Sally VanderPloeg → Chris Cordeiro → Ryan Connelly → Seizi Imura
Many thanks to the dinner hosts and chefs Seizi Imura, Wyatt Maguire and Byron Yang for such an incredible meal and experience. Throughout the dinner, Ryan paired each course with a drink and a selection of music...a few of my favorite tracks that I listened to while editing are listed below!
1. Sockeye salmon spoons, paired with "Bamboo" - Dolin Dry, La Cigarrera Manzanilla, Regan's No. 6, Angostura, from the Grand Hotel in Yokohama, 1890s
Etude No. 1 - Philip Glass
2. Maguro carpaccio and chi-aie, paired with 2013 Lamoresca "Nerocapitano", Frappato, Sicily, IT
Silver Fox - RJD2
3. Crispy orata in broth, paired with 2012 Francois Chidaine "Les Argiles" Vouvray, Chenin Blanc, Loire, FR
Under Crooked Trees - Birdlips
4. Zucchini noodle sunomono, paired with Murphy's Stout, Edinburgh, Scotland under supervision from Cork, Ireland
It's Alright - Junip
5. Surf and Turf "Okonomiyaki", paired with 2013 Domaine de la Grande Colline "Le Canon", Syrah, Rhone, FR
Farewell Transmission - Songs: Ohia
6. Hamachi "sushi" 80s style, paired with "Kenny Goon's Mai Tai" - Bacardi Gold, Kenny's Mix, Line, from the late China Snails, Brookline, MA Gronlandic Edit - Of Montreal
7. Buta kakuni & hamaguri chirashi, paired with 2009 Domaine de la Tournelle "Savagnin de Voile", Jura, FR
Tokyo - The Books